Management Principles That Guarantee Success
So, you have got the job title and salary that you wanted, the office and even possibly a space in the car park – well done for getting this far!
Truth is, though, that having the position is just the start – to become effective and recognised as such, takes much more effort and application. To make the grade, all managers need to follow the pointers below to make the best possible impact and to get the best possible results:
- Be aware: never let the power go to your head so keep an objective, balanced and realistic view of what is going on, and how you contribute to results. Its not just about you!
- Do what you say you are going to do: this drives results, shows you can be trusted and shows that you have integrity, all of which motivates and inspires staff.
- Be proactive: make sure that you don’t just sit back and let it all happen. Take charge when this is needed and persevere when necessary to see results happen.
- Be courageous: this means sticking to your position if you feel that you are correct and that your opinion will deliver results. Being blown off your chosen course too easily impresses nobody and will seriously limit your career.
- Take time to help others: identify those with potential and allow them to develop and grow, showing their own areas of expertise and knowledge. In this way your team grows, output increases and your Department will be where staff want to work.
- Be positive: be a source of positive energy that keeps your spirits up and which them makes a very positive contribution to the morale of those around you. Being positive also increases the quality of the product or service you are responsible for and generates higher customer satisfaction.
- Be decisive: tough, difficult and unpopular decisions will need to be made so get used to the idea! Make your decisions in a timely, final and clear way, even if doing so does not please everyone concerned. Stand firm, trying whenever possible, to have a collaborative approach.
Success will come from following the above principles in all your managerial actions.
For more details about our services visit the website www.davidsummertonconsulting.co.uk