How Managers Can Become Better Listeners
We all need to be good listeners if we are to become better at reading people, understanding situations, increasing productivity and delivering both effectiveness and efficiency.
The following simple steps should help you to immediately improve your listening skills:
· focus on the needs of the other person
· clear your mind of distractions
· avoid assumptions and judgments
· keep and maintain appropriate eye contact
· nod your head appropriately at what the other person is saying
· build rapport through sitting opposite the other person in a similar way
· asking short probing questions to encourage exploring a topic ‘tell me more about…’
Good listening skills should never be under-estimated as a tool by which to be a better manager of people. Keep refining your skills to have the maximum impact possible.
For more details about our services visit the website www.davidsummertonconsulting.co.uk