The 20 Top Management Priorities For ANY Manager
Regardless of the situation, scenario and type of workplace the following MUST ALWAYS BE FOLLOWED!
- Give good quality feedback – this will inspire and motivate your staff to achieve more in less time and to a greater quality.
- Always make the best of any bad news – spin as necessary but use the news wisely.
- Delegate – it is impossible to do it all and why should you even try?
- Always meet with departing members of staff – what can you find out from them that you do not already know? How can you use this information?
- Regularly check on performance – staff, machinery, systems. Keep checking – before someone else does.
- Decide upon a course of action BUT then deliver. Always.
- Use praise as a cornerstone of your motivational strategy. People like praise but this should also be used to stretch staff performance and achieve more.
- Plan your Meetings – never assume that things will go smoothly.
- Spend a lot of time listening. Really listening. Listen twice as much as you say.
- Think Strategically – leave the Operational thinking to someone else.
- Make and maintain alliances – network and link carefully, systematically and continually.
- Get feedback at every opportunity and use this to refine your approach and style.
- Give clear and measured instructions – this way things that you want to happen will happen in the way you planned.
- Use your words wisely and speak in a determined and passionate manner – staff respect knowing that there is a direction and it is being followed.
- Enjoy cynics – this gives you the opportunity to sharpen your message and practice your command of language. Everyone benefits!
- Welcome and prepare for change. Change is good!
- Keep quiet when the temptation is to really tell them what you think!
- Ask questions that cannot be answered in a simple “yes” or “no”.
- Focus on the average and poor players in the team and raise them to the average or better performers – you will always gain more output here than from really pushing the few star performers.
- Beat the clock – do it faster and better in the time allocated.
Above all else – find out what your Manager is looking for and deliver it.
For more details about our services visit the website www.davidsummertonconsulting.co.uk