Eight Top Tips For Running An Excellent Performance Appraisal
As you conduct performance appraisal sessions as a manager or supervisor, use the following Top Tips to help you increase the likelihood of having a positive and productive exchange with your employees.
- Open on an upbeat note.Start the discussion with friendly greetings — this sets the tone for the rest of the session.
- Lay out the framework.Let employees know the topics you plan to cover, as well as the order in which you plan to cover them.
- Ask for questions. This will raise employees’ comfort level and eliminate nagging issues that could distract them.
- Focus on performance.Keep your feedback focused on your employees’ performance, especially in terms of meeting objectives, achieving results, handling critical incidents, and developing competencies.
- Discuss the evaluations.Walk through the evaluations with your employees and provide them with specific information regarding the rationale behind your ratings. If you use self-evaluations, discuss the points where you and your employees agree and disagree.
- Listen actively.Rephrase and summarise what your employees say, to make sure you truly understand them.
- Clarify the overall ratings.Discuss the overall ratings with your employees and provide specific information regarding the criteria that you used to determine them.
- End the sessions positively.Summarize the discussion, ask for final questions, set follow-up dates for goal setting, have the employees sign hard copies of the evaluations, and end with positive expectations.
For more details of our services visit the website www.davidsummertonconsulting.co.uk