How To Innovate Successfully
Managers should innovate – but how should this be done and what steps can you take to deliver this?
The following pointers might be helpful:
- Focus your innovation and thought processes around a recognised and thorny issue where there has already been some investigation and analysis. Where exactly is the pain and what problem are you trying to solve?
- Accumulate a good reference base of diverse knowledge and experience – important for developing creative connections that will help you move forward.
- Find time for self-reflection and analysis. Contemplate the issues but remember to find time for some relaxation!
- Share your vision and make your ideas more powerful as others can see your contribution
- Bring in both human expertise/capital and social expertise/capital to the issue – wider connections = greater emphasis and support.
- Incorporate an innovative streak into your work DNA and approach.
- Be bold and challenge conventions – tell me again, why are we doing this?
- Learn from failure – failure is not a bad thing as long as you refine your approach, review the strategy and thinking and emerge better for it – in other words, you have learned from the experience!
- Be an innovative manager – that is why you got the job, otherwise the previous post holder would still be there!
- Lead innovation – see Point 9 above.
For more information on our services please contact us at www.davidsummertonconsulting.co.uk