Some Delegation Principles
Delegation in the modern organisation should be about;
- Developing the skills of the staff in our teams at little or no cost
- Mentoring and Coaching employees to increase their effectiveness and efficiency
- Making better use of productive time
- Giving an opportunity to develop skills so that when a promotion opportunity appears staff have the skills, knowledge and confidence to make a sensible and realistic application rather than just stabbing in the dark and becoming demotivated at the result
- Increasing employee commitment and engagement
If delegation works well the right staff stay with the organisation and grow with it. The true test for many managers would be being pushed, challenged and driven (all in the nicest possible way!) by staff eager to take on new tasks that push at conventional wisdom and accepted practice by offering a fresh, new perspective upon working practices.