Skills Spot – What Do Leaders Do?
The core functions of leadership are set out below – there should be nothing here that you are not doing already, possibly to differing degrees, but you are doing them!
The core pillars of activity for a manager are;
- Planning – seeking information, defining tasks, setting aims
- Initiating – briefing, task allocation, setting standards
- Controlling – maintaining standards, ensuring progress, ongoing decision-making
- Supporting – individuals’ contributions, encouraging, team spirit, reconciling, morale
- Informing – clarifying tasks and plans, updating, receiving feedback and interpreting
- Evaluating – feasibility of ideas, performance, enabling self-assessment
- For more information on our services please contact us at www.davidsummertonconsulting.co.uk