Stepping Out Of Your Comfort Zone
Be bold! Move out of that comfortable existence that you are perpetuating and throw away the mundane approach of being the middle-of-the-road manager that you find comfort in.
How else are you going to make the next career move? And the one after that? And the next one after that?
Successful managers set themselves apart from others through being different and by TRYING OUT DIFFERENT APPROACHES.
Try a few of these and experiment with them;
- Give rising stars the chance to shine and take the limelight
- Think about ways of sharing ideas across the whole organisation
- Make sure that the processes for getting good ideas shared widely are in place
- Get the team to step away from their individual comfort zones
- Avoid tidy and neat solutions that are easy to implement and manage – that way lies mediocrity
- Recruit unusual people and not the stereotypical types normally employed – go a bit wacky and unconventional to get the team stirred up and to add something new to the corporate mix
- Listen actively to passionate people and put aside the mantra of academic and process-based rigour; passionate people are passionate for a reason
- Always invest in training even if the subject matter or syllabus does not appear to have immediate relevance to the business
The more of the above you practice on a regular basis the more creative and adaptable the workplace become and ultimately the more profitable the business.