How To Deal With Unexpected Leadership
Not all leadership positions come as expected – sometimes you can find yourself in the role by accident or by a set of circumstances that are unplanned.
In this position perhaps it would be good to consider the following points;
- Be prepared to act and always have a plan (even if this is a vague and woolly plan!) if the knock comes on your door
- Be ready for the unprepared and unusual circumstances a new role throws at you
- Be curious, ask questions, ask lots of questions that will boost your knowledge and understanding, assume nothing and seek out information
- Be yourself; never try to be a carbon-copy of the previous post holder and remember that YOU have been appointed for a reason!
- Be totally aware of your own strengths and weaknesses
- Be a good listener. Be a VERY GOOD listener
- Be bold but consider the implications of making a big decision from all points of view before you act
- Be a skilled leader who brings people together – be a magnet for action by drawing in those who can and will support you