What Skills Do Employers Look For In The Ideal Job Applicant?
- Listening and understanding; taking on-board information in a variety of forms and doing something with it!
- Speaking clearly; plain English, use of appropriate and evaluative language
- Writing to the needs of the audience; tailoring the application and not just recycling an old application for a different job
- Negotiating responsively; win-win philosophy in action.
- Reading independently; being able to research and find out things without being spoon-fed
- Being assertive; not dominating or intimidating but being appropriately assertive
- Sharing information; being involved with others in the communication process
- Empathising; seeing the viewpoint of others
- Using numeracy effectively; no need to be the next Professor of Mathematics at Oxford but a good grasp of number, how it works and what it does is highly valued
- Understanding the needs of internal and external customers; customer satisfaction and its principles
- Persuading effectively; no need to be the most prolific salesperson ever but some good social persuasion skills are essential
- Establishing and using networks; be they IT based or good old-fashioned interpersonal skills getting on with others is crucial
- Speaking and writing in languages other than English; a very useful skill in today’s international marketplace
For more information on our services please contact us at www.davidsummertonconsulting.co.uk