Making Full Use of the Exit Interview – Part One
Exit interviews are interviews conducted with departing employees, just before they leave. This is done to identify and to learn from the reasons for that individual’s decision to leave and as such this presents a golden opportunity to gain critical insights into how well your company is performing and, critically, to check out what you think is the picture actually is the picture.
There are many different questions you could ask – perhaps the following section might be your starting point.
- Tell me about why you are leaving
- What is your main reason for leaving?
- What are the other reasons for your leaving?
- Why is this important or so significant for you?
- Within the (particular reason to leave) what was it that concerned you particularly?
- What could have been done early on to prevent the situation developing/provide a basis for you to stay with us?
- How would you have preferred the situation(s) to have been handled?
- What opportunities can you see might have existed for the situation/problems to have been managed in a better way?
- What can you say about the processes and procedures or systems that have contributed to the problem(s)/your decision to leave?
- What specific suggestions would you have for how we can manage this better in future?
- How do you feel about the organisation and what words would you use to describe us to someone?
- What has been your most satisfying experience during your time with us?
- What has been your most frustrating or difficult time with us?
- How could we have made better use of your skills and ability?
- What training would you have liked or needed that you did not get, and what effect would this have had?
- How well do think your training and development needs were assessed and met?
These opening questions will give a clear insight into the thinking process behind the employee’s decision to leave and start to open up an insight into the practical aspects of organisational routines, management systems and direction.
Look out for further Exit Interview questions in subsequent Blogs!
For more details about our services please contact us at www.davidsummertonconsulting.co.uk